What is EFS?
The Ecology Field School courses are a fantastic opportunity to kick-start the development of your scientific career. Offering crucial field training experience in a carefully chosen and stunning location, this is your chance to make the transition from the lecture theater to the field, from theory to research, from textbook to reality.
You will learn by doing and not just be collecting data for another person's project. You will be carrying out real practical work in the field for yourself!
Structure of course
- The courses include lectures and seminars, but are centered on field work that demonstrates how current concepts are being approached and the kinds of techniques which are used in research.
- Working as a team, you will get the opportunity to design and undertake research project(s) during the course that will give you broader understanding of the courses taught and the findings of your research are written up and presented for score.
- Ecology Field School (EFS) gives equal selection opportunity to all applicants and is open to both national and international applicants(self funded) to ensure a rich cultural experience
- The Field courses aim to introduce participants to the excitement, challenges and opportunities of biological research and conservation in tropical habitats through various approaches:
Aim of Ecology Field School
- Fostering expertise by providing practical training and experience in the tropics.
- An emphasis on building skills and understanding, rather than accumulating factual information.
- Essential practical training in project design and implementation.
- Investigating the complex problems of tropical ecology and conservation by highlighting current issues, controversies and techniques.
- The cultural diversity allows the opportunity to share ideas and learn from each others' experiences, and build links useful for future collaboration.
Scholarships are available to those from Ghanaians to take part in the Ecology Field School courses.
Scholarships include transport to and from the field site, accommodation, feeding and course fees.
For international applicants there is no scholarship available currently, course fees is $1500.
*Course fees cover tuition, food, accommodation, and in-country transport. They do not cover airfares, insurance or visa costs.